Before I knew better, I went about choosing what I purchase for our family with regards to household products by what was easily accessible, inexpensive or familiar to me. More often than not, the choices I used to make were carried over from what I grew up with. Over the last several years, I’ve made more of an effort to bring products into our home that are safer my family and for the environment. With so many different products to choose from, we’re often faced with a wealth of misinformation and while we might be thinking we’re making a safe product choice we’re often tricked by “green washing”. Green washing is often used when companies attempt to capitalize on the consumer’s desire to purchase “organic”, “safe” and “environmentally products” by using deceptive advertising strategies. One of the ways I get through all of the misinformation is by using the EWG app on my phone or by going to their website www.EWG.org. The Environmental Working Group provides a wealth of information when it comes to safer options for food, household and skincare products, cosmetics, etc.
In this post, I’m going to focus on household products using the EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning.
- Seventh Generation Free & Clear Laundry Pods ~ these guys score an A+ on the EWG app, meaning they are one of the cleanest options when it comes to washing your clothing for your family. Why choose a “clean” laundry detergent for your family? Most laundry detergents on the market are petroleum based, petroleum is a know endocrine disrupter which can impact our metabolism, hormones and reproduction. Many laundry detergents also contain fragrance, which are made of phthalates. Not only are phthalates endocrine and hormone disruptors, they are harmful to our air and water supplies. It’s important to note that just because a brand has one A+ rated item, it doesn’t mean that all of their products are rated that way. Adding fragrance significantly reduces how “safe” or “clean” a product is.
- This brings me to the second way we’ve switched to safer. We use wool dryer balls instead of dryer sheets. While I sometimes miss the “fresh” smell of Bounce or get frustrated by a little extra clinginess in our clothing, it’s worth it knowing I’m not using products that are both damaging to the environment and harmful to our bodies. I got our dryer balls off of Amazon awhile ago but I know Norwex has them too! In order to get a little extra scent into the laundry, I add a couple drops of Essential Oils to the dryer balls.
- Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Pods~ another A+. Choosing a healthier option for your dishwasher detergent will help your family avoid the list of harmful chemicals that are normally used to create detergent, like bleach, fragrance and dyes. These chemicals can potentially cause adverse side effects like endocrine disruption, respiratory issues and carcinogenic effects.
- Aunt Fannie’s Floor Cleaner~ A+. I recently placed an order from The Grove and purchased this floor cleaner for both our hardwood and tiled floors. I love the smell and the fact that it’s not leaving behind harmful chemicals.
- Seventh Generation Multipurpose Disinfecting Cleaner~ A+. With cold and flu season nearly behind us, this stuff was a lifesaver for us this winter. There are many multi-purpose disinfecting cleaners that score really poorly, for something that you’re spraying all over every surface of your home this is one I’d want to be sure is safe for my family.
This post was just a short round up of some of my favorite household products and how they rate on the EWG. Through this process, I also found out some of our products were not so great (dish soap and hand soap being two of them!) If you haven’t checked out your products before and how they rate on safety, I’d encourage you to do so! We use Amazon’s Subscribe and Save and The Grove to purchase our products. I included a referral link for The Grove it you want to check it out!
Have a great day!
Melissa @ Finding My Mojo